At the end of the programme, the student should be able to:
1. Explore the theoretical and applied knowledge of contemporary issues in early childhood education.
2. Acquire a critical understanding of theoretical lens to look at specific issues of Early Childhood Education.
3. Apply philosophy, principles and practice of Early Childhood educational research.
4. Conduct research independently at a high level of originality and quality.
5. Continue to advance knowledge and its application in particular fields of study of Early Childhood Education.
- The programme shall run for a minimum period of seven semesters and a maximum period of 15 semesters of 15 weeks.
- The programme shall be undertaken through coursework, examination and thesis.
- The minimum course load shall be three course units and the maximum course load shall be four course units per semester.
- Each course unit shall consist of 60 contact hours.
- Students will be required to take all the six course units offered except where credit transfer has been permitted.
- A student shall be required to take four core units in the first Semester and, two elective course units in the second Semester. Each elective unit shall be chosen from any one of three clusters.
- A student shall develop a proposal in the second semester.
- A candidate shall write a thesis equivalent to eight unit
The common regulations for the Doctor of Philosophy of University of Nairobi shall apply.The following shall be eligible for admission into the Doctor of Philosophy in Early Years Education.
- A holder of Bachelor’s degree or Post graduate Diploma in Education, and a Master of Education in Early Years Education degree of the University of Nairobi or its equivalent recognized by the Senate.
- A holder of Bachelor of Education degree or a postgraduate Diploma in Education, and Master of Education degree of the University of Nairobi in areas of specialization relevant to Early Years Education or its equivalent recognized by the Senate
- Trainer of trainer
- Policy maker
- Curriculum developer
- School manager
- Policy maker
- Project manager
- College principal
Fees and Funding
|DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN EDUCATION|
|YEAR 1||YEAR 2||YEAR 3||TOTALS|
|ICT SERVICES - (PER YEAR)||7,000.00||7,000.00||7,000.00||21,000.00|
|REGISTRATION (PER SEMESTER@2250)||4,500.00||4,500.00||4,500.00||13,500.00|
|ID CARD ( PER YEAR)||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||3,000.00|
|CAUTION - (ONCE)||5,000.00||-||-||5,000.00|
|MEDICAL FEE (PER YEAR)||6,500.00||6,500.00||6,500.00||19,500.00|
|ACTIVITY-( PER YEAR)||2,000.00||2,000.00||2,000.00||6,000.00|
|LIBRARY (PER YEAR)||5,000.00||5,000.00||5,000.00||15,000.00|
|STUDENT ORGANISATION(PER YEAR)||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||3,000.00|